Music

Stuck in a musical rut

I need some help. I need some ideas for new music for me to try out. I love the music I listen to at the moment, but I feel like I need to try something new. I’m stuck in a music rut – I’m just listening to the same things over and over again. Which I don’t mind, but something new would be nice.

I went to Share My Playlists to get some musical inspiration but got stopped in my tracks when I saw someone made a playlist out of songs purely consisted of Buffy episode titles. Just a little bit sidetracked, and really couldn’t find anything to inspire me there.

What do I listen to? Erm, a lot of wildly different things! My all time favourite band are the Foo Fighters. Music I can’t not listen to include Garbage, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Queens of the Stone Age, No Doubt, Metric, The Beastie Boys, Muse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cee Lo Green, Hurts, Prodigy, The National. I’ve just started listening to The Black Keys, Imelda May, Plan B, Miles Kane and Nero. Also trying out some more Bloc Party, Klaxons, White Lies, Editors.

I do tend to like my music loud, as you could probably guess from that random list. But I’m willing to try anything. So throw something at me! I’ll see if I catch it.

• Reply Jina September 12, 2011 at 11:43 am

How about some Paramore? Not just for Emo kids, I swear! Die hard fan over here 😉

• Reply Jaina September 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I’ve been meaning to give them a shot. I like what I’ve heard. Any album in particular?

• Reply Jina September 12, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’d recommend their last album ‘Brand New Eyes’ to start with, or prior to that, ‘Riot’. Those will probably give you a good indication as to whether or not you’ll like them. I’ll be happy to send them both to you if you like?

• Reply Jaina September 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Adding to my spotify!

• Reply Melissa September 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I was going to say Editors because I loves them so. Maximo Park – Quicken the Heart is really good.

OOO, Arcade Fire are freaking amazing. Amanda Palmer has done a really good album (if a little weird). Bat for Lashes, Broken Bells, Death Cab, Ladytron.

And of course, my boy Patrick Wolf.

• Reply Jaina September 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Right, adding all of that to a “need-to-listen” list. I haven’t heard anything from Broken Bells or Amanda Palmer, so this will be interesting!

• Reply Jaina September 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm

There is only 1 Arcade Fire track on spotify! BOO!

• Reply Melissa September 14, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Yeah, I saw that when I was looking for BBQ music. Rubbish! If I knew how to get the albums off iTunes, I’d send them over.

Well worth a listen to though.

• Reply Jaina September 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I shall see if I can find a way to listen to them.

I have listened to some of Maximo Park’s Quicken the Heart on the way home today and I LOVED Calm i think it was.

• Melissa September 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I like Paul Smith in Maximo Park’s accent – it reminds me of Rach 😀

• Reply Almar September 16, 2011 at 11:57 am

If you like it loud, go older. Go back and listen to the classics. Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC

• Reply Jaina September 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I think that’s a good idea… i was listening to Motorhead on the way home one day, randomly, and Ace of Spades came on and it made me ridiculously happy.

• Reply More musically informed. Marginally | Time well spent October 31, 2011 at 5:36 pm

[…] to those who gave me some new music to try out when I pleaded for some help. I’ve been giving some of those offerings test drives while I drive home. Turns out […]