Another year and another 100 movies challenge that I set myself, has ended. How did I do? Well, sadly I didn’t hit my target of 100 films in the year. Managed to fit in 90 new-to-me films. That’s not a bad tally, right?
Still trying to figure out where I went wrong there. By the end of September I had already seen 75 films. Looks like the new TV season played a massive part in sucking time away from film watching. Happens every year!
Enough of me judging myself, what about the films I saw.
I only managed to see 26 films at the cinema. Only 26 cinema trips in a year. That is poor. Last year I managed a whopping 42 films at the cinema! Though I could put that down to the fact that last year I spent most of the year working within a one minute walk of a cinema. That definitely helps.
17 films got a 5/5 rating from me. Thought I was a bit more generous than that. Clearly not – The Raid, Skyfall, Argo, Looper, Young Frankenstein, The Apartment, Brave, 21 Jump Street, The Dark Knight Rises, Britain in a Day, Avengers Assemble, The Cabin in the Woods, The Big Lebowski, Road to Perdition, The Muppets, The Artist and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Then at the other end of the scale, only 4 films were handed a 1/5 – Ca$h, Red Riding Hood, Bad Teacher and Super. Maybe I wasn’t harsh enough. Too many 2’s and 3’s out of 5.
In the month of October I managed a dismal 3 films. That’s just disgusting. Really. Less than 1 per week! On the flip side March was my best film watching month where I managed a pretty good 13 films in the month.
Now for some random film watching stats
- Three films this year were able to get me to see them at the cinema twice. Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall.
- Watched all three Universal Classic Monster films. Frankenstein being my favourite.
- Six comic book adaptations.
- Ten horror films. The Cabin in the Woods being the top horror of the year.
- Six non-English language films.
- Three animated films.
- Four films which star Chris Hemsworth. (It’s a sickness)
- Out of the 90 films I’ve seen, nine films have female heroes.
- Eight films from the year feature in IMDB’s Top 250 list.
- Managed to knock three films off of my list of Films I Need to See.
What about 2013?
Lots of umming and ahhing about whether I should do another 100 movies challenge for 2013. Thing is, I’ve been doing this challenge every year since 2008. It just wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t repeat the challenge again.
So, another year and another target of seeing at least 100 new-to-me films. Though, I’m going to make more of an effort to see films off my Films I Need to See list and more classics. Less fluff. Until, that is, my brain feels the need for some pathetically awful romcom when/if I get ill! (They’re my weakness when my heads all foggy.)
Wish me luck! And if you’re doing a film challenge for the year, good luck to you too.