It’s just shy of a week since returning from Vietnam and I’m still sitting in a sea of photos waiting to be processed. Digitally. Occasionally the task of sorting through and processing the photos can feel like, well, a task, but it’s so much fun re-living all the memories while they’re still fresh. I think the sorting process gets elongated because every now and then I’ll take a ‘break’ to just scroll through the photos in Lightroom to see what’s to come.
In a nutshell, Vietnam was awesome. One of the best vacations I’ve had in a long time. While I’ve been to South East Asia before (Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia), that was years ago when I was a kid and with the family. Vietnam felt so familiar and not at the same time. Had a blast.
While I sift and sort through photos and videos (we might have bought a GoPro), here’s a run down of my 10 favourite things I did in Vietnam.
- Rented a scooter and biked from Hoi An to My Son for an afternoon. The BEST part of the entire trip.
- The train ride from Hue to Da Nang. Not only ridiculously cheap, but you get to see some beautiful scenery.
- Eating at some very local and decidedly divey places. Yes, a rat and a cockroach were spotted. But the food was so worth it.
- Riding a bicycle through Hoi An.
- All the BEER! The cheapest beer I will ever have in my life.
- Being cooked dinner by a 75-year-old grand mother, while her daughter and grand daughters serve us.
- Sitting on the beach in Da Nang with a beer in hand, watching the world go by. Bliss.
- Hai Van Pass – it’s spectacular.
- Banh mi. All the banh mi. Every damn day.
- All the pagodas. May have got a little pagoda’d out by the end of the trip, but damn are they stunning.
Expect a whole slew of Vietnam related posts soon. As soon as these photos sort themselves.