Every year I set myself a target, usually of about 100, of films to watch. These are new films. Not new, new films. But films that are new to me. Any time I’ve seen a new one, I post a bit of a brain dump of my thoughts on the film here. Enjoy!
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (17/03/12)
Follows a pair of married couples, Alfie and Helena, and their daughter Sally and husband Roy.
I’m not all that well versed in Woody Allen. I remember trying to watch Vicky Cristina Barcelona last year and turned off after about half an hour because I was bored. Oh yes. Thankfully, I managed to make it all the way through this film. Not sure if it was for the better.
Here’s a film that looks at the different stages in relationships and marriages and through it all I just didn’t care for any of the characters. Well, I did have a small connection to Sally, but I honestly couldn’t care less for what anyone else was up to in the film.
I just found them all a little frustrating. What they were doing in their lives and relationships. I wanted to grab them all and give them a massive shake! These days, I’m finding it really hard to get into films when I can’t sympathise with at least one of the characters. I just switch off.
While I’ve not seen many Woody Allen films, so I can’t really compare. But this felt like a bit of a weak film.
Read on to see all the films watched this year…
23 Films so far this year
- The Tourist 1/5 (02/01/12)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 5/5 (03/01/12)
- World’s Greatest Dad 2/5 (14/01/12)
- Haywire 3/5 (19/01/12)
- Dead Snow 3/5 (20/01/12)
- The Artist 5/5 (21/01/12)
- Priest 2/5 (05/02/12)
- The Muppets 5/5 (15/02/12)
- Faster 4/5 (19/02/12)
- Chronicle 4/5 (22/02/12)
- Safe House 4/5 (24/02/12)
- Reservoir Dogs 4/5 (25/02/12)
- This Means War 4/5 (02/03/12)
- The Royal Tenenbaums 3/5 (03/03/12)
- Reign of Fire 3/5 (04/03/12)
- Dear John 2/5 (04/03/12)
- Road to Perdition 5/5 (05/03/12)
- The Three Musketeers 3/5 (06/03/12)
- The Eagle 2/5 (10/03/12)
- Everybody’s Fine 2/5 (14/03/12)
- Frankenstein 4/5 (15/03/12)
- Love and Other Drugs 2/5 (15/03/12)
- You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger 2/5 (17/03/12)