Internet

Google+ – I think I get it now!

Last week I told myself I was going to give Google+ a proper go. I’ve been on it since, pretty much, when it all kicked off but I’ve barely used it. Why? A little bit of confusion concerning what the point of Google+ actually was. I just didn’t get it.

In my concerted effort to give Google+ a proper go I stumbled across another G+’er who, in a sentence, described what I was looking for. Sadly, I’ve lost who it was. Thankfully, I know exactly what they said.

Google+ isn’t like Facebook and it’s not meant to be. Facebook connects people through their social interactions. Google+ connects people through their mutual interests.

It was that moment when a light bulb switches on in your head. Just that short explanation was apparently all I needed to get firmly on the G+ bandwagon. I think I’ve been skipping along the bandwagon so far. Now I am definitely on it.

It is a combination of Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, tumblr all rolled into one. You can make of it what you want to. You can keep it to your social groups, like Facebook. Or you can do that as well as be all about sharing the things you’re into with the wider world. You can mould it into whatever you want it to be. I get it now and can now see how powerful G+ can potentially be.

No, I’ve not been paid by Google to say this. Though you’re probably suspecting Skynet, sorry Google, has had a dabble in my brain after my post the other week about me getting onboard with Google Photos. Now this? Oh yes. I’m no longer me. It’s true. I’m just something else controlled by Skynet… Google!

So, feel free to add me to any of your circles if you’re on G+. I’m right here! One of these days I’m going to pluck up the courage to join in on a hangout. One day.

• Reply ruth April 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I’m probably the last person who isn’t on Facebook. I had an account there only so I could see some of my friends’ updates. Not sure I want to jump into the Google + bandwagon. Maybe down the road.

• Reply Jaina April 4, 2012 at 8:57 pm

The thing to remember about G+ is you have to put into it what you want out of it. I’ve finally found that out and it’s turning into something quite addictive.

• Reply 3guys1movie April 4, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hey Jaina, We were using google+ until they suspened our 3guys gmail account for not being an actual person. I guess that is against their TOS. At least google still lets us send and receive mail, but we can’t use any other features till we sort out what the issue is. Sadly I suspect they want $ :-(

• Reply Joel Burman April 4, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’d suggest creating a fan page similar to the ones on facebook instead for blog communication on Google+ I’m not versed enough to tell you how to do it but I know it can be done.

• Reply Jaina April 4, 2012 at 9:02 pm

What Joel said – create a G+ Page for 3guys. You don’t need a separate google account for it now. No money required! Give it a go, let me know if you need a hand :)

• Reply 3guys1movie April 5, 2012 at 12:08 am

thanks for the heads up guys, I am going to task my brother with this as he is the IT guy and handles most of the technical aspects.

• Reply Jaina April 5, 2012 at 8:39 am

Let us know when it’s all up and running :)

• Reply Kristin April 4, 2012 at 3:54 am

I got a Google+ account, but I hardly do anything with it. I’ve yet to hop that bandwagon. It just doesn’t appeal to me enough, and I would probably want to use it more for social interaction. And the problem in that is that the majority of my friends aren’t on Google+ for a variety of reasons.

If I happen to see you on there, though, Jaina, I’ll be sure to add you to one of my circles!

• Reply Jaina April 4, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Please do!

I’m enjoying using it now, getting fairly addicted. It’s like a mix of my google reader and facebook. I’d really love to do a film bloggers hang out on there!

• Reply Shep. Burman April 5, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hey Jaina, I don’t know how aware you are of the LAMB. Its the world largest association of movie blogs and I’m actually looking for someone to maintain our presence on Google+ and I’d love for you to come onboard and be influential about it. I have setup a page for us but haven’t really done much with it so far.

I definitively think the LAMB could be the movie hangout on Google+. Feel free to e-mail me on largeassmovieblogs(at)gmail.com if you’d be interested in talking more about it. However, we are a non profit organisation so its completely on voluntarily basis. I just wanted to ask you since I share your belief that Google+ needs a movie hangout.

• Reply Jaina April 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Dan’s mentioned the LAMB to me a couple of times and has hinted that I should join, which I will get around to one day!

I’ve dropped you a quick email – would love to be onboard 😀

• Reply Eric April 4, 2012 at 7:21 am

Being active on Google+ is very helpful for search rankings as well since Google is integrating status updates into the normal results. Speaking of which, I really ought to set up an account for The Warning Sign. Every little bit helps…

• Reply Jaina April 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Yep – it’s all about getting interactive and staying that way on G+. It’s no good just having an account or a page.

If you do set one up, I’ll be adding you to one of my circles! 😀

• Reply Jersey April 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

You know, I think I should do the same.
    Like you, I’ve been on for a while but I’ve never used it properly. Honeslty, I’ve never even tried to understand it, and that’s the problem.

Your post convincedme so… Let’s try Google+!

• Reply Jaina April 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Go for it Jersey! Give me a bell when you’re up and running on there 😀

• Reply Castor April 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Yea I have a G+ account but have recently sort of given up on it. Maybe I should try giving it a go again 😀

• Reply Jaina April 7, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Go on… do it! The more people are on it, the more you get out of it 😀 I’m being selfish really 😉

• Reply Jina April 8, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’m totally guilty of abandoning Google+, and I can’t for the life of me think why because I loved it at the time. It was such a breath of fresh air. I use Facebook to keep in touch with family/friends but I kind of feel I use it begrudgingly.

You may have inspired me to return to Google+ now, Skynet be damned 😛

• Reply Jaina April 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm

It’s definitely one of those places where the amount you get out of it is only equal to the amount you put in. The idea of having to put some work into a social network is a bit eh, but you get used to it!

Return and give me a wave :)

• Reply The Focused Filmographer April 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I’ve tried getting into G+, just haven’t been able to get the hang of it yet. I will sit down and look at it one of these days.

• Reply Jaina April 11, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Do! It’ll be worth it. It just got a big ol’ redesign today.

• Reply Tobiah April 12, 2012 at 6:54 am

I know Guy Kawasaki is always talking about Googleplus being for connecting through interests and shared passions. I read his book, What The Plus? and finally GOT it. So, I’m trying to get more involved on G+ now myself. :)

• Reply Jaina April 12, 2012 at 9:08 am

Go you! I think it’s hugely worth it. It does take a while to really get it. As it’s touted as a social media network, which it is. But it’s not like any other social media network we’re all used to.

I find I spend a lot more time on G+. I sit there and go through stream after stream. With the likes of Facebook, I quickly scan to see if my friends have been up to anything and then switch off. That’s one thing G+ is doing right, right now.

• Reply Russ April 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I think that this might be my first comment on your site, I found you through the circle that the Lamb shared last week. I’ve been using G+ for a while now, I get more interaction than I do through FB for my film reviews, so I think when you say that G+ connects through interests and FB through social interactions is bang on.

I’ve only ever had one hangout, but it works pretty smoothly between three people. Apparently it is a lot smoother and more intuitive than Skype, but I’ve never really used Skype.

See you round G+.

• Reply Jaina April 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Hey Russ, thanks for stopping by 😀

I’m a fan of skype, but it can be a bit jittery and just not very smooth. But I’ve not had any major problems with it.

The great thing about G+ hangouts I guess is that it’s all through the browser, so not as dependent on software. Which is a bonus!

It’s so easy to get people interacting on your posts and just sharing your posts on G+. If it’s genuinely interesting and you’ve been smart with who you’ve shared it with, it’s pretty good at getting people interacting. I think what helps is that the majority of people on it are sharers themselves. If you’re not one, then … don’t think you’d like G+ too much.