Every year I set myself a target, usually of about 100, of films to watch. These are new films. Not new, new films. But films that are new to me. Any time I’ve seen a new one, I post a bit of a brain dump of my thoughts on the film here. Enjoy!
An accomplished headhunter risks everything to obtain a valuable painting owned by a former mercenary.
You have got to love the Norwegians. They’ve got the uncanny ability to merge a great thriller with some incredibly tense and dramatic moments with some hilariously dry comedic bits. They’ve definitely got their own brand of humor. Coupled with their own style of thriller. One which I really, really love.
Headhunters sets itself up as a crime thriller. A twisty, turny crime thriller which looks fantastic and has a couple of incredibly fantastic leading characters. Watching the leading character, Roger Brown, as his somewhat slightly unconventional but fairly stable life fall apart due to the arrival of one person makes for a very interesting film. The amount of development this one character goes through is excellent. Something you don’t see all that often in films these days where the viewer just simply watches characters go through a series of events.
When the final twists start falling into place, I got a real sense of satisfaction out of the film. Not to mention a whole heap of enjoyment. There are some insanely dark moments, but then I found myself having a bit of a chuckle at the same time. Though … if you’re a dog lover, there is one scene that will make you cringe.
I hear there are already rumors that it’s up for an American remake. *groan* I doubt they’ll be able to get the same feel of this film.
Headhunters is a great, intelligent and witty little thriller. Do yourself a big ol’ favour and give this a watch. You won’t be regretting it. If you do, I worry for you.
Read on to see all the films watched this year…
26 Films so far this year
- The Tourist 1/5 (02/01/12)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 5/5 (03/01/12)
- World’s Greatest Dad 2/5 (14/01/12)
- Haywire 3/5 (19/01/12)
- Dead Snow 3/5 (20/01/12)
- The Artist 5/5 (21/01/12)
- Priest 2/5 (05/02/12)
- The Muppets 5/5 (15/02/12)
- Faster 4/5 (19/02/12)
- Chronicle 4/5 (22/02/12)
- Safe House 4/5 (24/02/12)
- Reservoir Dogs 4/5 (25/02/12)
- This Means War 4/5 (02/03/12)
- The Royal Tenenbaums 3/5 (03/03/12)
- Reign of Fire 3/5 (04/03/12)
- Dear John 2/5 (04/03/12)
- Road to Perdition 5/5 (05/03/12)
- The Three Musketeers 3/5 (06/03/12)
- The Eagle 2/5 (10/03/12)
- Everybody’s Fine 2/5 (14/03/12)
- Frankenstein 4/5 (15/03/12)
- Love and Other Drugs 2/5 (15/03/12)
- You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger 2/5 (17/03/12)
- The Big Lebowski 5/5 (18/03/12)
- The Hunger Games 3/5 (23/03/12)
- Headhunters 4/5 (07/04/12)