Every year I set myself a target, usually of about 100, of films to watch. These are new films. Not new, new films. But films that are new to me. Any time I’ve seen a new one, I post a bit of a brain dump of my thoughts on the film here. Enjoy!
The Hurt Locker (21/04/12)
Forced to play a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse in the chaos of war, an elite Army bomb squad unit must come together in a city where everyone is a potential enemy and every object could be a deadly bomb.
Kathryn Bigelow’s The Hurt Locker is probably one of the most realistic war film I’ve seen in a while. It feels like a bit of a muted affair. The emphasis is purely on following the bomb disposal team. Which is where this film wins for me. It gives you, probably, a good idea of just how high the stakes are for these guys out there who do what they do as regularly as we, say, go to work. Only their work environment’s a bit more prickly.
Jeremy Renner’s great. His character’s clearly cracking at the seams. He’s holding it together. Just. It’s his work that gets him through. Despite his character being a little bit tough, I found it easy to connect to him. To get behind him.
There was one scene that really stood out for me. When the team were pinned down and they were trying to out-snipe being sniped themselves. That was intense. It felt real.
However… I didn’t quite see what all the fuss was about with this film. I don’t not think it’s a good film. It is. But not sure I get the hype that surrounds it. Like I said before, I won’t deny this is a superbly made film, I just don’t quite see the amazing in it. Definitely appreciate it for what it is though.
Read on to see all the films watched this year…
30 Films so far this year
- The Tourist 1/5 (02/01/12)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 5/5 (03/01/12)
- World’s Greatest Dad 2/5 (14/01/12)
- Haywire 3/5 (19/01/12)
- Dead Snow 3/5 (20/01/12)
- The Artist 5/5 (21/01/12)
- Priest 2/5 (05/02/12)
- The Muppets 5/5 (15/02/12)
- Faster 4/5 (19/02/12)
- Chronicle 4/5 (22/02/12)
- Safe House 4/5 (24/02/12)
- Reservoir Dogs 4/5 (25/02/12)
- This Means War 4/5 (02/03/12)
- The Royal Tenenbaums 3/5 (03/03/12)
- Reign of Fire 3/5 (04/03/12)
- Dear John 2/5 (04/03/12)
- Road to Perdition 5/5 (05/03/12)
- The Three Musketeers 3/5 (06/03/12)
- The Eagle 2/5 (10/03/12)
- Everybody’s Fine 2/5 (14/03/12)
- Frankenstein 4/5 (15/03/12)
- Love and Other Drugs 2/5 (15/03/12)
- You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger 2/5 (17/03/12)
- The Big Lebowski 5/5 (18/03/12)
- The Hunger Games 3/5 (23/03/12)
- Headhunters 4/5 (07/04/12)
- Super 1/5 (07/04/12)
- The Cabin in the Woods 5/5 (13/04/12)
- Watchmen 4/5 (14/04/12)
- The Hurt Locker 3/5 (21/04/12)