Photography

Favourite shots of 2012

2012’s Photography Project turned into a bit of a *insert raspberry sound here*. That’s the only way I can describe it. The first couple of months went well enough, but I think there was just too much for me to handle.

Sadly, my general photo taking dwindled a little this year too. Sure I’ve taken the odd shot here and there. But I got lazy. I stopped taking my camera with me everywhere. A habit I’d had since 2010. Not good.

Saying that, I think I have managed a handful of good photos this year and I have definitely learnt more compared to last year. Getting more to grips with using exposure and not relying on just taking photos with a ridiculous shallow depth of field.

So, here are some of my favourite photos that I’ve taken this year. A fair few are of my dog, Cody (naturally) and of course I had to include some of those Avengers!

Cody's first snow

Cody’s first time in the snow. Yes, I was throwing snowballs at her. But she loved every minute of it. The look on her face here is priceless!

Cody splashing around

Cody splashing around in Portugal the only way she knows how to.

One in a million

Wild flower meadow in Portugal with one poppy standing out. Why I love just having a wander around where my parents live.

Still standing

A very old cork tree – taken in Portugal. It’s dead, but always looks stunning. I’ve never been able to capture a good shot of it, but this one I really like.

Cliffs and dips

Another one from Portugal. From one of my favourite coastal areas. Massive cliffs and a beautiful colour sea.

Mark Ruffalo

Mark Ruffalo at the London premiere of Avengers Assemble. You won me over right here!

Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr. doing what he does best at the London premiere of Avengers Assemble. Causing an absolute frenzy in the crowd.

Robert Downey Jr. and Jeremy Renner

Just look at them both. Need I say anymore?

Robert Downey Jr, Tom Hiddleston and Jeremy Renner

Jeremy Renner’s face. Love it!

Birthday BBQ 2012

Barbecued lobster, mango and fresh salad from my birthday barbecue back in July. Despite it being a miserable day, managed to make the food look good. Though, it didn’t take much. Look at it!

Virginia Water

One of my favourite places to shoot this year. There’s always something new to see.

Virginia Water

Another one from Virginia Water looking like it should be in a water-colour.

Autumn sunset

This photo brings back memories. Memories of thinking I was locked in a farmer’s field with no way out! Also memories of watching a lovely autumnal sunset.

Port Patrick

The very picturesque Port Patrick, in Scotland, taken from a wind-will-take-your-breath-away cliff.

Port Patrick - abandoned

Creepy buildings on the top of the cliffs above Port Patrick in Scotland. Feels like it’s calling out for a midnight tour.

Caught in the wire

Something about this shot, I just like. Also, it does remind me of a very, very amusing day spent looking like real silly city folk.

Castle of Park

The absolutely wonderful, and maybe slightly haunted, building I stayed in on holiday in Dumfries and Galloway. Looked amazing in the dark.

Christmas

A very big bauble hanging off my very small Christmas tree.

I am hoping that next year I get out more with my camera. A whole heap more. Thinking about it, I’ve really missed being out and about with my camera.

• Reply lisacng @ expandng.com December 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Awwwwwwwwwww, that photo of Cody in the snow is ADORABLE!!!!! His expression is so innocent too! And great one of her splashing in the water, great action in the water. The red poppy would look great on a canvas, on your wall! So cool you were at the Avengers premiere!!! Love the two houses on the lake. Great landscape, a water color indeed! Don’t beat yourself up too much for not reaching your 365 goal this year. Sometimes, we just need a mental/creativity break. I’m sure you’ll come roaring back in 2013! I can’t wait to see!

• Reply Jaina December 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I only wish it was snowing this time so I could do the same. She makes for the best model for me!

Am considering doing a project 52 for 2013. Just one photo a week. I could manage that. I think!

• Reply sati December 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

My God, If I was ever so close to RDJ I’ll end up getting arrested 😀

Beautiful pictures! The one with the poppy is simply amazing!

• Reply Jaina December 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

RDJ owns wherever he goes. It’s ridiculous!

• Reply Melissa December 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Haha, silly city folk.

• Reply Chris December 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Nice collection, I like the photos of the Wild flower meadow, and the old cork tree.
    8th from the bottom(of the trees and lake) is also great, and reminds me of the setting of the film Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter… and Spring (2003), a visually beautiful film, by the way.

• Reply Jaina December 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Interesting sounding film. Really like films that are visually striking – will add it to my to-see list.

• Reply Jen December 29, 2012 at 5:40 am

I think you did a great job on your photography challenge! Honestly, you have all of 2013 to get on that photography challenge. How’s your 100 movie challenge going? I hope you are almost there.

I loved all your photos. Cody’s first photo melted my heart. My favorite is Jeremy Renner’s face. Gosh, he is too cute.

• Reply Jaina December 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Fell short on my film challenge unfortunately. By 10 films! Ah well, next year eh?

• Reply Nostra January 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I’m not a photographer, but liked looking at these. Beautiful!

• Reply Jaina January 3, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Very kind of you!

• Reply Steph January 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm

What gorgeous photographs! And Cody is beautiful … glad you’re a fellow dog lover. :-)

• Reply Jaina January 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Very much a dog lover. 😀 And thank you. Cody’s the perfect model really. It’s all her 😉

• Reply The Focused Filmographer January 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm

i LOVE this post. all your photography…amazing! Thanks for sharing some of your faves of 2012 with us, Jaina.

• Reply Jaina January 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Aww, thank you T!

• Reply Rachael January 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Some super cool shots here, including that lovely poppy and all things Avengers. Doesn’t Tom Hiddleston look different without his locks and his hat? ;). I did a project 365 in 2009, took my 400D everywhere. Since then the habit has been lost, not least because of the weight of my new BFF, 5Diii. Hence my quest in 2013 to find the perfect mini cam for everyday.

• Reply Jaina January 28, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Good luck with the search. Going to be looking forward to what you eventually find :)