100 movies of 2013

2013 in films

2013 in films

All my ‘2013 review’ style posts are running late. Well, can they really be called late? I was just waiting for 2013 to be truly over until I did any sort of review on it.

First up – films. I knew a very, very long time ago that I would never hit my goal of 100 films in the year. I did hit a respectable 90 films. Not bad, right?

Of those 90 films seen in 2013…

It is incredibly hard for me to pick out my favourite film of the last year. So I choose all those I rated a 5/5. For its technical achievement, Gravity is a stand out amongst those. For its complete unpredictability, Mud is also a highlight for me.

Check out all the films I saw in the last year.

What about 2014?

Well, I think I’m going to retire the whole 100 films of… thing I’ve been doing since 2008 (WHAT! That’s SIX YEARS!!). Now, that’s not to say I’m totally giving up on the aim of devouring a shit tonne of films each year. I’ll still be trying to do that. Just without a target. It’s taken me six years to realise I don’t need a target. JEEZ.

• Reply Jina January 2, 2014 at 12:14 pm

What, still no Annie? 😉

I know what you mean about retiring. I’ve still not completed a year successfully (this year was the closest I got with 96 films) but that mad dash at the end to fit them in took a lot of fun out of just seeing films I wanted to see. I may keep a personal log of the films I watch this year, but not necessarily adhere to any actual challenge.

Also, completely unrelated, but there are awesome little snowflakes floating around on your blog, right? Or have I finally lost the plot?

• Reply Jaina January 2, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Like you, the mad dash to watch as many as possible turned into me watching whatever I could to bump up the numbers. Neglecting films I know I SHOULD be watching. Going to make more of a point to see those films on my epic list!

Erm… you have totally lost the plot…. NOT 😉 There are snowflakes. But they’ll be disappearing soon!

• Reply Nostra January 2, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Some nice movies you have seen (nice to see End of Watch in that list, one of my favorites of 2012)

Goals are not always needed. I didn’t manage all my goals, but I like to have them as I see it as kind of a game.

Also have put up my “looking back at 2013″ post, should you be interested in it. :)

• Reply Jaina January 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Gaming the whole film watching process is fun! Drives you to get it all done :)

Gonna head over and read that one, thanks Nostra!

• Reply Keith January 2, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Good stuff Jaina! I’m so glad to hear that you loved “Mud”. What a great movie. Also glad you got to see “12 Angry Men”. I’m a big fan of that classic as well. And 5/5 for “Once Upon a Time in the West”? Absolutely! It’s my favorite western of all time.

Almost finished with my best of the year post. Scheduled to go up Monday. But I also love reading what others have to say about the past movie year. Have a great 2014!

• Reply Jaina January 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Watching Once Upon a Time in the West just showed me how much modern films “take” from the classics. SO MUCH! It’s always eye opening watching the classic films.

Looking forward to reading your post!

• Reply sati January 2, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Oh, I would never manage to see 100 movies a year. At least first time watching, rewatches included, maybe. Awesome to see you gave the highest score to Gravity and Mud – such brilliant films.

• Reply Jaina January 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm

So many films I wanted to rewatch this year, but felt I “couldn’t” because of my self-imposed nonsense! Not this year though.

• Reply ruth January 2, 2014 at 7:12 pm

That’s quite a lot of films you gave 5/5, for me Gravity is the only one from 2013. I just might give HER a top rating though it’s not exactly a flawless film. I absolutely love MUD too, that’ll be on my top 10 for sure.

• Reply Jaina January 3, 2014 at 8:32 am

Think I’m fairly “soft” on rating films 5/5 – they don’t have to be perfect, but they just have to have something that appeals to me enough to give them a good rating.

Really want to see Her when that’s finally out here. If it gets a decent enough release. Also, still waiting on the release of 12 Years a Slave AND Wolf of Wall Street!

• Reply Chris January 2, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Hey, 90 ain’t bad. And besides, looks like you saw quite a few decent flicks out of those 90, based on what you’ve listed here. 😉

• Reply Jaina January 3, 2014 at 8:32 am

Ha! Yeah, think there was definitely a bit of quality thrown in there for once 😉

• Reply Dan January 3, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I must make more of an effort to record my film viewing this year! At least of the films you wanted to see, 12 Angry Men was the one you knocked off the list – great film, one of my all time favourites.

• Reply Jaina January 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

It is nice when you can look back and see what films you actually saw. Though it’s also useful for me because there are times when I can’t remember if I’ve seen a certain film or not! Happened one too many times!

• Reply Chris January 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Well at least you saw Graivity at the cinema. You won’t regret that :)

• Reply Jaina January 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Definitely not 😀

• Reply lisacng @ expandng.com January 3, 2014 at 5:55 pm

As long as you don’t stop reviewing movies, how many is not as important to me :). Plus, you’ll ALWAYS see more movies in a year than I will in like 5 years, hehe.

• Reply Jaina January 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Ha! No, I’ll still be rambling on about the films. You can’t shut me up there lol 😉

• Reply Dan January 4, 2014 at 8:37 am

It was Django for me. Soundtrack is awesome too. I haven’t seen gravity yet but I’ll wait for 3D version.

• Reply Jaina January 4, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Django soundtrack was one of my faves from last year!

Think you’ll like Gravity, a lot. Fantastic film.

• Reply 2013 in Photos | Time well spent January 4, 2014 at 11:36 am

[…] me removing a film target for 2014, I’m putting in a photo target. Yes, I’m trying again with a 365 project. In the back […]

• Reply Morgan R. Lewis January 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

Happy New Year, Jaina. Good call on dropping the “Target”… there’s no reason to kick yourself on being “ten films short” when 90 movies a year is still more than most people.

I’m still surprised the Pirates ranked so low with you. I rather liked it.

• Reply Jaina February 4, 2014 at 2:04 pm

The jokes fell flat for me. Or maybe I just expected Wallace and Gromit quality and was just let down.

• Reply Alex Withrow January 6, 2014 at 12:03 am

You rated The Descent 5/5? That’s AWESOME! Still one of the best horror films I’ve ever seen. Such a uniquely creepy flick.

• Reply Jaina February 4, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Yes! And while some of the acting is a bit so-so, the rest of the film totally makes up for it.

• Reply The Kid In The Front Row January 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Love seeing 12 Angry Men there.

• Reply Stephanie January 20, 2014 at 11:27 am

12 Angry Men is a terrific film. I finally saw it last year for the first time.