Every year I set myself a target, usually of about 100, of films to watch. These are new films. Not new, new films. But films that are new to me. Any time I’ve seen a new one, I post a bit of a brain dump of my thoughts on the film here. Enjoy!
Everybody’s Fine (14/03/12)
A widower who realized his only connection to his family was through his wife sets off on an impromptu road trip to reunite with each of his grown children.
This film really made me feel sad. Sad for Frank. And also acutely aware that Frank reminded me a lot of my dad and in turn, his children reminded me a lot of my brother and I. Which, in context of the film, made me feel even more sad! There’s not a huge lot to feel happy about watching the film.
Aside from the sad feelings, to me, the film was just ok. Not all that memorable. It wasn’t all that engaging while I was watching it. My mind did wander. Right now, trying to figure out what to say about it, is proving tricky too!
Robert De Niro’s great – you really do feel for Frank and the situation he’s found himself in with his children. I did love the scene where Frank was talking to his kids in his “vision”, realising all the things he already knew about his children.
It’s got a nice warm and fuzzy ending but it’s just so forgettable I can’t really rate it that highly.
Read on to see all the films watched this year…
20 Films so far this year
- The Tourist 1/5 (02/01/12)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 5/5 (03/01/12)
- World’s Greatest Dad 2/5 (14/01/12)
- Haywire 3/5 (19/01/12)
- Dead Snow 3/5 (20/01/12)
- The Artist 5/5 (21/01/12)
- Priest 2/5 (05/02/12)
- The Muppets 5/5 (15/02/12)
- Faster 4/5 (19/02/12)
- Chronicle 4/5 (22/02/12)
- Safe House 4/5 (24/02/12)
- Reservoir Dogs 4/5 (25/02/12)
- This Means War 4/5 (02/03/12)
- The Royal Tenenbaums 3/5 (03/03/12)
- Reign of Fire 3/5 (04/03/12)
- Dear John 2/5 (04/03/12)
- Road to Perdition 5/5 (05/03/12)
- The Three Musketeers 3/5 (06/03/12)
- The Eagle 2/5 (10/03/12)
- Everybody’s Fine 2/5 (14/03/12)